Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Another family favourite for breakfast. I’ve doubled the recipe so that it makes two batches.
Feeds 7 hungry mouths.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco is best)
- 1 + 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in shortening, using a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk. Form mixture into a ball.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly-floured surface (see pic).
- Spread melted butter all over the dough with a basting brush.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the entire surface.
- Roll the dough tightly into a log.
- Cut the log into 1/2″ slices.
- Lay them onto to baking sheet lined with parchment paper (see pic).
- Cook for 15 mins until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.